Dental crowns are often used to complete a restorative treatment, such as to cap a tooth after a root canal, but they’re often misunderstood. They can be used to repair different kinds of tooth damage, such as cracks, misshapen, or deeply decayed teeth, and are also used as the restorative portion of a dental implant. If you’ve had a crown before, you probably had to wait a few weeks for the permanent crown to be completed in a dental laboratory. But with Charlottesville, VA dentist Dr. Matthew Harrison, you can have a permanent dental crown on the same day with CEREC technology.
How Do Same Day Dental Crowns Work?
Crowns fit over the top of a damaged tooth to protect the sensitive tissue inside. The damaged tooth is prepared and then the crown is cemented on top, holding it together to keep the natural tooth from breaking apart.
Dental crowns are constructed of durable materials such as porcelain, resin, or a composite material that is strong enough to endure the trauma of chewing. After a crown is cemented to the top of the tooth, it becomes part of the tooth.
A dental crown may be recommended or placed for a wide range of reasons:
- After a root canal
- Final restoration of a dental implant
- Discolored tooth
- Misshapen tooth
- Damaged tooth
- Decayed tooth
Same-Day Dental Crowns in Charlottesville, VA
Dental crowns are custom fitted to each patient’s teeth, and in the past had to be designed in a lab. Now, Harrison Dental Associates offers same day dental crowns, where digital pictures of your mouth and a special machine are used to create the crown for your tooth. This technology is called CEREC and it offers several key benefits:
- Digital impressions provide more accurate treatment planning and less discomfort than traditional methods
- 3-D imagery creates multi-dimensional images of the mouth, allowing the dentist to design the restoration with precision
- CEREC creates high-quality porcelain and zirconia dental crowns for a durable, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing results
- Restorations can be done in a single office visit, eliminating the need for uncomfortable temporary crowns or multiple office visits
Schedule a Consultation
You don’t have to live with discomfort from a damaged tooth. Dental crowns, when created with CEREC, offer you a more comfortable and healthy smile in just one office visit. Schedule a CEREC consultation with Harrison Dental Associates online or call us at 434-227-5665 today.